Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cloth Diapers..... Where to start!

I have always wanted to try out cloth diapers, until I started looking for them I didn't realize just how many different kinds were out there! Here is a brief overview of the different kinds from my point of view.
All In Ones (AIO) these seem to be the most conveinent for diapering. But you have to wash the entire diaper every time as far as I can tell. Which means more diapers to purchase up front.

Pocket Diapers Also seem convienent except you have to stuff an insert into them each time and you also must wash the entire diaper after each use.

There are One Size diapers out there with snappable rises (how tall the front of the diaper will be). They claim you can buy one diaper that will get you through newborn to potty training.. From reviews I have read this is not always the case. They are too big for newborns and too small for toddlers.

Diaper Covers go over your simple prefold diapers (the diapers everyone uses for burprags) The nice thing I see with these is that you don't have to wash the cover every time you just put in a new diaper.

A lot of the cloth diapers out there also have the option to purchase disposable inserts. some of which are biodegradable/flushable others of which you just have to toss like a disposable diaper. This could be convienent for outings so you don't have to carry around a dirty diaper all day. But they are a lot more expensive than your regular pampers or huggies. So the way I see it you're better off buying disposables to have on hand for outings.

What I am looking to get out of my cloth diapers:
Something not too bulky
Comfortable for baby and reduces rish of diaper rash
ease of use (mostly for hubby's sake)
easy to wash at home.
a cover that can be reused a couple of times before washing
something durable that will hold up for future babies.
To reduce my footprint and not contribute to landfills.
Save money (duh!)
To be more self-sufficient.
Cloth diapers are also said to help potty train sooner!

I am on my way out today to check out a store that sells cloth diapers and will hopefully help me choose whats right for my needs!
check back as i chronicle my diaper adventures-

No comments:

Post a Comment