Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Freezer is my Friend. (and should be yours too!)

My freezer cooking story isn't that extraordinary but i'm learning! I have been freezing fresh vegi's and fruits for a couple of years now. Slowly but surely I am adding more variety into my repitoire.

Recently I stumbled upon the amazing blog "A Turtle's Life For Me"
(because I do not yet know how to tag my words to a link here is the actual link!)

http://aturtleslifeforme.blogspot.com/2011/06/freezer-meals-on-cheap.html
Natalie is an awesome blogger and I have literally read every post she has ever made! Her blog is literally addicting lol.
This particular post on freezer cooking has been quite popular lately! So far I have made the "Twice Baked Potatoes", "Shredded Chicken", and the "Taco Meat". I also purchased the book she raved about called "Don't panic Dinner's in the Freezer". This book will help you get started with freezer cooking, or inspire you to get back into freezer cooking. I also highly reccomend it. There is a link on her post to purchase the book.
Here are my "Twice Baked Potatoes" ready for the freezer and boy are they yummo!
The "Taco Meat" recipe was a lot yummier than my usual venison with just a taco seasoning packet!
Next I tried a Baked Oatmeal recipe. I used tin pie plates (which get washed and reused) then cover with tin foil. Disclaimer: Do not stack right on top of eachother until they are fully frozenor you will have major spillage! ;) (hence the plates inbetween the pie plates I remove these once hey are frozen)
And my ultimate favorite things to freeze are fresh fruits and vegetables.
Not only is it awesome to enjoy these in the winter, but it is a great way to save money! I stock up on fresh produce in season when it is cheapest and freeze the excess.
We also have a garden and always have more than we can consume before it goes to waste so it works perfectly to freeze, blanch, or can the leftovers.
The best way I have found to freeze berries is to rinse them and then lay out in a single layer on a cookie sheet for freezeing. Once they are frozen you can place them into your freezer bag or container. This way you can take out a handful and they won't be a solid block!
**** On my to-do list yet is a homemade baking mix recipe, and some Corn bread muffins.
????? Do you have a favorite freezer cooking method or recipe? Please feel free to share it in the comments section!

1 comment:

  1. Jordon!!! You are amazing!! I love this post and I am thrilled that you like the book I recommended! I can just smell that taco meat from here! And you're a genius with the plates! I've been wanting to make some baked oatmeal and now you've inspired me to try it! Thank you SO much for letting me know about this post! I'm so tickled by it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete