Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Follow my path to a greener home! Challenge One

I am reading an awesome book it's called Living Fresh by Sara Snow. It is very motivating and also put into terms you can understand.... It gives you quick and easy ways to make a difference in your family's life and also the enviroment.

(see also earlier posts on my cloth diapering experience!)

The first step I took was to go through all my cleaning supplies and attempt to get rid of anything with harsh chemicals or fragrance.
(fragrance listed under the ingredients in anything is a catch all word for a mixture of chemicals, they do not have to name each one in there!)

This included all air fresheners, air "sanitizers", glade plug-ins etc. The book tells you different ways to freshen your home using essential oils or citrus steaming on the stove.

I found a great company called BabyGanics they make products completely safe for baby and the enviroment. So far I have boughten the toy and highchair cleaner and the multi-purpose cleaner which smells like lavendar!! Love it!

I am having a hard time getting rid of my clorox wipes, they are my security blanket when I am wiping up raw meat juice from the countertop or if someone was in our house and was nice enough to bring germs with them ;) For now they stay and I will use them only if I feel it's needed. We can't change overnight right?

It's amazing all the uses for simple things like vinegar and baking soda that you will find in this book!

Greening up your cleaning and the air in your home is great in so many ways but it also saves you a lot of money, I mean really a box of baking soda and a jug of distilled vinegar?

Look for my next post where I will be reviewing the Shark Steam Mop and the Shark Steam Pocket Cleaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment