Saturday, April 12, 2014

This is post one in a three part series. I have three freezer cookbooks that I couldn't live without, I am going to share each one with you along with my reviews on the recipes I have tried in each one.

First up is Fix, Freeze, Feast!

Chicken Main Dishes

Cherry Skillet Chicken p.20: Very easy to make and very yummy!

Mango Cranberry Chicken p.36: Another simple and fast recipe that turns out delicious.

Pecan Crusted Chicken Strips p.38: YUMMY!! Probably the #1 for our whole family! So much healthier than chicken nuggets and tastes so much better.

Tequila-Lime Chicken p.50: I had to buy tequila and margarita mix for this recipe and neither ever got finished off. For this fact I wouldn't make it again. The taste was okay but not worth the cost of the ingredients that would go to waste.

Beef Main Dishes

Beef and Bean Burritos p. 76: I made up a stack of alternating tin foil and tortillas so that I could add the filling, fold up the tortilla and wrap in tinfoil. Helped the  process go smoother.  Easy to make and a great lunch on the go!

Cheesy Chilada Bake p. 78: So yummy! The texture of the corn tortillas after baking is to die for! Great for a game day meal or snack! 

Classic Lasagne p.80: Just as the name implies it's your perfect lasagne easy to make and freeze! The recipe also calls for the "basic red sauce" which is a recipe you will find on p.178 which you can also freeze leftovers in portion perfect bags for later use.

Mozzarella Meatballs p.88: These have a surprising little bit of a kick to them. We loved them, one word of caution I don't know if it's the garlic in them or what but they have the ability to smell up your freezer and make other things taste like mozzarella meatballs ;) I'd recommend double bagging these guys.

Pork Main Dishes

Pepper Jelly Pork Chops p.113: So quick and easy to make. You can grill these but for the winter we cook indoors using the broil pan takes only 15-18 minutes! Taste is amazing!

Basil-Balsamic Chops p.114: another quick marinade and great for indoor broiler cooking. I love balsamic vinegar so these are another fave of mine!

Apple and Cranberry Pork Loin p.129: I have made this more times than I can remember the flavors of the marinated and cooked apples, onions and cranberries are like none other!

Meatless Mains, Sides, and Sauces

Rice Pilaf p.151: I ALWAYS have a stock of these sides in our freezer! Make up a huge batch and you are good to go for months worth of sides with you meat. I was skeptical the taste would compare to the store bought bags of rice but it's even better!

Feta and Spinach Lasagna Rolls p.152: Take a little bit of time to put together, but worth it especially if you vegi hating husband will eat them!

Manicotti p.159: Another yummy recipe using the "Basic Red Sauce".

Apples and Cheddar p.164: Very easy and delicious. My recommendation is that this recipe is better when eaten the same day you make it.  After freezing the half-and-half, cheddar mixture loses it's consistency and becomes kind of grainy.

Sauces, Marinades, and Butters

Basic Red Sauce p.178: Used in a few of the recipes in the book, you can also freeze for later use.

Breakfast , Snacks, and Sweets

Breakfast Burritos p.190: I used the same method as with the Beef and Bean burritos to make assembly a breeze.  Great for breakfast on the go!

Granola p.194: Makes a lot, Fun for the kids to help with.

Zoo Day snack mix p.197: Another fun one to make with your kids.

Pumpkin Muffins p.198: Perfect for fall.  I didn't have cake spice on hand so I used the homemade version you can find the recipe on p.136.

Tropical Fruit Smoothies p.201: Easy to make. Nice to have on hand when you don't have the time to get out all the separate ingredients.




No comments:

Post a Comment